Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Give Well, Receive Well

Proverbs 11:24
One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

In my classes, I always teach people to give well if they expect to receive well. These two actions go hand in hand to work in perfect harmony. The more we get, the more we are expected to give and the more we give, the more we should expect to receive. Now take note, although you should expect to receive that should not be your sole reason for giving. The verse says give freely. It doesn't say give and then sit around with your hand out or constantly looking over your shoulder waiting for something to come along. We must remember that we are blessed, to be a blessing!

I also want to acknowledge that the person you may give to, doesn't necessarily have to be the person who will give back to you. So, for heavens sake, don't be the type of person that will hold things over a friends head and constantly remind them of what you've done for them. If you did it with the right heart, you shouldn't even be able to remember every single thing you've done. God can use anyone to bless you, even an enemy, so don't make too many expectations concerning where the blessing will come from.

The second part of the verse says not to withhold unduly or in other words don't be stingy! Some folks are so worried about hoarding everything to themselves without remembering that to whom much is given, much is required. Despite the economy, we still have the responsibility of making wise decisions. Although it may not make mathematical sense, the more you keep to yourself, the less you will inevitably have. Have you ever noticed how the world's wealthiest people are the world's biggest philanthropists? Look at Oprah, Bono or Bill Gates to name a few. Has being overly charitable broken the bank for them? Clearly not! Its actually done quite the opposite. They understand the cycle: give well and you shall receive well.

Seek Wisdom, Find Wealth & Give Back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all must remember, when giving it does not have to be money or things, I remember when I had my kids I prayed to God, I don't have a lot of money to give to my kids, they grew up with clean clothes, roof over their heads and food on the table everyday. Then I realized that I had a lot to give just not to my children but to others, I was a gift from God, because everyone I come in contact with, has some sort of insight for me. God gave me the ability to nurture and to love with all my heart. I know how to share,greatly. I have never met a person that after they have talked to me for a little while they do not remember me. For what ever reason, because I am funny, knowledgeable for worldly ways, enjoy sharing information regarding making money my way, Legally. I have a lot of personal pride, but it done not get in the way of my progress. I will sell oranges on the street corner if it helps pays my bills. I don't follow anyone but God, if he gives me the vision, he will give me the tools. I have become a true believer in the Spirit of God. I believe he put me here on earth to help others find their way. I may meet you in passing but believe me we will have a good conversation and I may learn something and you definitely will too, because God brings people together for a reason. Enjoy the giving as my friend and I do mean friend said. Give from you heart not because you are looking for something. And believe you me. When you meet your God, he will know just how much you have given. and O yea you really don't have to talk about it to others. Bragging is not cute.

Patrice C. Washington said...

Thanks for sharing Jeannie Belle! I know from experience that you are one of the biggest givers out there and for that God will continue to supply your needs!