Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sometimes Passion Just Isn't Enough

Don’t waste time pursuing a passion you haven’t taken time to perfect. There, I said it! I had to get it off my chest once and for all. In the pop tart, microwave, faster than the speed of light world we live in today, entitlement runs rampant throughout our community. The days of working hard to achieve a goal have basically been tossed out the window. All we know is it’s ours and we want it now; and not like right now, but like yesterday! Who cares if you are naturally good at something? While you’re somewhere pouting about people not recognizing how “good” you are, there are others out there taking the same skill and making it GREAT!


Discovering your God-given purpose or gift is really only the first step in creating a fulfilling life.  Once you've been fortunate enough to realize what the gift is, I believe the equation to true passion driven success may resemble something like this:

GIFT + PASSION + PLANNING + PERFECTING + PURSUING + TIME = PROSPERITY

The problem in our culture is we want to acknowledge the fact that we are passionate about something and just pursue and prosper! Forget planning and who the hec has time to perfect? And don't mention time! We don't have time to put time in. We just want to throw something together and get the reward right now!  But honestly, what ever happened to this concept of putting time in, honing your skills, paying your dues?  What happened to our ability to recognize that most overnight successes actually work on their craft for 5, 10 or even 15 years before we even hear a faint whisper about who they are?

Let me offer this solution as I have been accused in the past for stating problems without providing resolution.

Let’s be clear, your gift is the thing you do the best with the least amount of effort. Your passion is the activity you have a strong desire for or the thing that gives you the most energy. Just because you are passionate about something, it doesn’t mean that it’s your God-given gift. In other words, it doesn’t mean you’re even good at it. With planning and perfecting you may become better, but you'd have to put some time in to even figure that out and well, that's where most folks get lost in wasting precious time pursuing dreams that will likely never come true.

For example, I am passionate about singing in the shower. I do it every morning without fail. As family, friends and unassuming neighbors will tell you, however, I am truly no singer. And they are absolutely right! It’s not my talent; it’s not my gift.  Singing is nothing I should actually do outside of church (and that’s only because God loves my praise no matter how bad I sound . . . . I think.)

Now, with those things I do actually have a shot in the dark at, ie. speaking, coaching, etc., it’s my job to be intentional about the actions I take on my way to pursuing my passion. In other words, I have to plan ways to exercise my talent as I look towards being recognized for it. It is also my job to perfect this gift which I am passionate about. Remember, just because I’m good at it, that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t put effort into being great at it. Not to mention, there are people that I will meet along the way that can help me fulfill my goals that much faster. How will I meet them though, if I’m not actively and purposefully putting time into attending the right seminars, joining the right organizations and obtaining the education that will help me perfect what I say I’m passionate about?

Lastly, remember that being prosperous doesn’t always refer to profit or financial gain. Prosper means to flourish, to thrive or to grow. That may mean financially, but can also mean spiritually, emotionally or mentally. Prospering can mean that you’re just all around happier because you're inundated with work that you love to do.

In a nutshell, it’s time to get passionate about your gift and then put some effort into planning, perfecting and then pursuing it! If you’re not making progress on something you’re passionate about perhaps it’s because you’re skipping a few steps!


Until Next Time,


Seek Wisdom, Find Wealth & Be Blessed!

5 comments:

Drew-Shane said...

I think people have a hard time recognizing their gifts. It's good to have passion though. I know recognizing my gift was something I knew I always done well. I've heard the phrase "Trust your talents and know you gift." I think that fits well here.

Great post- got me thinking.

Diggame said...

This really reminds me of the lyric from Little Brother "I Got Dreams...but dreams don't keep the lights on."

The true thing is finding ones purpose without overindulging in the dream to the point of ruin

Anonymous said...

You could not have posted this at a much better time. I'm on the verge of losing my job after 15 long years of service and I have other abilities that'll shake this world off of its axis! I do photography on the side and I have other endeavors to work on and no better time that right now for me to do those things. I'm not hurt about my job loss, but if anything, I'm relieved, because the last five years were a major crutch to me, and instead of looking at the glass half-empty, I'm looking at it half-full! So I was actually happy about the bad news. And to top it off, I'm going to be paid back my vacation and sick time, so that's a nice lump of change right there, and I may have another job in line right after that, God willing. So what I got from reading this post is the exact same thing I've gotten from other publications be it religious, self-help, business, etc.-they ALL have one thing in common: If it is to be, then it's up to me!

In other words, for some of us who are dreamers (and that's a good thing), get off your (use your own word) and make your dreams come true. 'Nuff Said!

Thank you for posting this.

Lorraine B said...

Wow! This is awesome!!! It really makes me re-evaluate how I intend to really pursue my gifts and make my heart's desires come true.

the urban-cafe said...

This was awesome and it came at the perfect time for me. God bless you! Check out my passion - http://theurban-cafe.blogspot.com