Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Compromising the Word




Proverbs 30:6
Do not add to his (God's) words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.


I've been pushing off speaking to someone who I looked up to in the ministry very much because of several instances in which I felt like God's word was being compromised to prove a point. The first time, I thought it might have been an oversight. The second time, well, I concluded that they just must have been confused or a little flustered by the circumstance at hand. But when I watched them not correct someone else who compared them to God, the Spirit immediately reassured me that I was not in the wrong for the way I had been feeling! It happened almost as a confirmation and reminder that no matter how much I "liked" someone, they were dead wrong for allowing God's word to be abused while they were in a position to correct it.
I don't know about you, but I despise those who try to prove a point by twisting the words of the Bible or any other reference point. I understand that because of our life experience's we all share different perspectives. And because of that, we each can draw totally different conclusions from reading the exact same scripture. What bothers me though are folks that misquote scriptures only to prove a point at that moment. If you asked them any other day, their response to the same text could be totally different based on their mood or what was occuring in their life!
I believe God's word is his word. Although we may gain different insight or have a revelation regarding a text or subject that we didn't have before, we should not add to or take away from his word in order to substantiate an argument. The proverb notes that by adding to God's word, we will be proved a liar. And who wants to have any type of relationship with a liar?

As a believer, apart of our job is to bring people to Christ. God has already inspired the word. If he needed our input, either we would have been a chosen disciple born back then or we'd be submitting applications to be included as an author for the updated edition! Since neither is plausible, let's just show people what The Word says and plant the seed! He will allow it to grow and take care of the rest.

Until Next Time . . . Seek Wisdom, Find Wealth & Be Blessed!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Sister. I just came across a comment of yours at Christian PF. So nice to meet you. I'll have to visit around your site some more.

Blessings,
Servant

Angie said...

Oops, didn't sign in properly.

I'm at www.goodfaithfulservant.com

Patrice C. Washington said...

Thanks for stopping by, Angie! I will definitely come by and check you out, as well!