Friday, June 24, 2011

Steve Harvey Mentoring Weekend: A Lesson in Giving

Attending Steve Harvey’s Mentoring Weekend for Young Men this past weekend taught me many lessons about life, myself and people, in general. Beyond the 125 or so young men who were chosen to attend the jam packed weekend of inspiration, reflection and just plain real talk, I think every person who stepped foot on the Harvey Town, 400+ acre ranch outside of Dallas, TX has forever been transformed.  And, of course, I am no different.  While I could share so much of what I learned  or who I had the esteemed pleasure of meeting while speaking during the parent program, I wanted to narrow down my thoughts to simply this:

I WANT TO BE WEALTHY.

I don’t know that anyone would have to ask, “Why?,” but I still would like to take a moment to explain.

After growing up in the Leimert Park area of South Central Los Angeles my entire life, it’s no wonder I would desire the means to provide a better life for myself and my own children.  But my reason for declaring today that I want to be wealthy goes even deeper than the obvious.  Much deserved reflection over the past days since Mentoring Weekend, has revealed to me that I want to be wealthy so that I may give back in a larger capacity than just simply my time and talents.  While those are both fantastic and fulfilling and while I would encourage anyone to do the same, watching Mr. Harvey, my mentor since my college days, turn scattered thoughts during commercial breaks into annual events like the Mentoring Weekend and even now the largest award show production in the country, the Hoodie Awards, I realize what “making it” is truly all about.  This is not to say that I had not already learned that we are all only blessed to be a blessing; but to see lives change before your eyes at this magnitude has shown me the embodiment of true wealth – on the inside and out.

As always, feel free to share your thoughts.

Until Next Time,

Seek Wisdom, Find Wealth & Be Blessed

No comments: