Friday, February 6, 2009

Parents Really Do Know Best

Proverbs 6:20
My son, keep your father's commands
and do not forsake your mother's teaching.

This verse is probably the last thing any teenager or young adult wants to hear. By the age of sixteen, someone tricks us into believing that we've heard and seen more than our parents have ever even imagined. As I've said in the past, the game hasn't changed - just the players!

As a married woman with a child, only now do I truly know how important it is to listen to our parents advice. Now, I've heard some people get some strange and very wrong advice from their parents, so I'm not saying that this is 100% the case each and every time, but I believe that its generally a great rule of thumb. Mothers and fathers, contrary to the belief of most young people, are not trying to "spoil the fun" or "ruin our lives!" Our parent's teachings are heartfelt words of wisdom designed to help us avoid the pitfalls they've either endured or seen endured by others.

As much as it pains me to admit, just about everything my parents have ever tried to teach me about or save me from have come true. And the only reason it pains me, is because when I think about how much heartache I would've avoided if I had only fastened their words around my neck (Prov 6:21), it makes me upset with myself. Verse 22 tells us that when we walk, our parents words will guide us, when we sleep their commands will watch over us and when we awake, those same teachings will speak to us.

If we would just stop long enough to humble ourselves, no matter how old we are, and think about the teachings our parents have tried to instill in us, I'm sure there's a decision or two we should rethink today. As grown as we become, mom and dad are still however many years older. They've still seen and heard more, so lets help ourselves and take heed to their instruction.

Seek Wisdom, Find Wealth & Be Blessed!

No comments: